It is important to remember that stretching is as big of a key to a healthy body as exercise is. Stretching is so very important and most people do not stretch after a hard workout. In this post it explains the importance of stretching and why you should do it regularly. So make sure to after any workout that you do, mainly stretching on what you exercised that day. It helps the body recover faster, relax the muscles, and also prevents the soreness most people feel the next day.
- Hamstring Stretch
- While laying with your back on the floor reach one of your legs up off the ground and place your hands just below or just above the back of your knee. (Depending on how flexible you are.)
- Pull your leg towards your chest keeping both of your legs straight. When you feel a slight pulling hold it for a few seconds then when you’re ready pull your leg a little closer and hold it for a few more seconds. Continue this process for a total of 20-30 seconds.
- Butterfly Stretch
- While sitting on the floor bring the bottoms of your feet together and bring them as close to your body as you can.
- Place your hands around your shoes as if your holding them.
- With your back straight lean forward until you feel pulling in your groin area. Hold for a few seconds and then lean a little further.
- Continue to do this for 20-30 seconds.
- Sit and Reach stretch
- While sitting on the floor place your legs straight and in front of you with your toes pointed up to the ceiling.
- Try to reach as far as you can to your shoes without bending your knees.
- Continue for 20-30 seconds
- Quad Stretch
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Try to have something in front of you that you can focus on.
- Continue to shift your weight to one leg while lifting up the other leg. When you lift the other leg grab your ankle with the same side arm.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds and then repeat with the other side.
- Calf Stretch
- Stand hip-width apart while facing the wall about 2-3 feet away.
- Step one foot close up to the wall and reach the other one back about the same distance.
- Keep the leg in the back straight while you bend the front leg and place your hands on the wall for stability.
- Hold this for 20-30 seconds and repeat for the other leg.
Keep in mind when you are doing these stretches to not push to far, we do not want to over stretch anything and cause an injury. We are trying to prevent injury so if once you feel the pulling, stop, and take a few seconds to remain at that point. Also if you feel after a few seconds you can stretch it a little further feel free but again once you feel that pulling stop and enjoy the stretch.
Make sure to use deep breathes anytime you are stretching, it keeps you focused on your breathe and helps you feel the stretch itself. Keep living that healthy lifestyle!
Make sure to stretch after every workout to ensure you are getting the maximum benefits of the healthy lifestyle!
Featured photo credit here.