In a previous post, Is Stretching Really That Important?, I had stated that it is extremely important to stretch on a regular basis, if not everyday. Standing behind that, I present you with a list of stretches that you can use to help keep those muscles lean, flexible, and healthy.
- While sitting or standing make sure your shoulders are relaxed and your back is straight. Lower one of your ears down towards the same side shoulder (Lower left ear to your left shoulder) and hold.
- After a few breathes, roll your head down towards the ground while bringing your chin to your chest, Continue to hold this for a few breathes as well.
- Then continue to roll your head to the other side and bring that ear to your other shoulder (Bring your right ear to your right shoulder) and again hold for a few breathes.
- Bring your head back to center and repeat as often as you’d like.
- Stand with back straight and shoulders relaxed. Your feet should be hip-width apart.
- Bring one leg (Left) forward and place your heel down with your toes up and your leg is straight.
- Make sure to keep your back straight and with the other leg (Right) bend the knee as if you’re trying to sit back.
- Try to support yourself by keeping both hands on your thighs.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds, then repeat on other leg.
- First stand tall with your feet hip-width apart.
- Raise your foot (Left) and reach back and grab with the same side hand (Left).
- Make sure to keep your thighs in line as if you were still standing straight.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds, and then repeat on the other leg.
- Start on your hands and knees, forming a tabletop. Your hands and knees should be hip width apart.
- Engaging your core pull your naval towards the spine and rounds your back up towards the ceiling then release your core and bring your naval towards the ground and arch your back.
- Make sure to allow the head and neck to fall naturally.
- Also try to synchronize your breathes and your movements, inhale as you round the back and exhale as you arch it.
Chest and Bicep Stretch
- Stand with your back straight and feet hip width apart.
- You with try to interlace your fingers behind your back (as if you’re holding your own hand behind your back) and straighten you arms.
- When you straighten your arms try to lift the arms up behind you while keeping your back tall and your shoulders down (Keep the shoulders relaxed, when you relax them they tend to stay away from the ears and the stretch is much more effective).
After completing these various stretches you will feel stronger, more flexible, and healthier. Make sure to stretch on a regular basis to maintain your flexibility. If you keep up with it you will find that you are able to reach further into the stretch then when you originally started.
So keep stretching towards your goal of a healthy lifestyle!